History of Hakone-Yosegi-Zaiku
Hakone-Yosegi-Zaiku was founded in the Hatajuku area at the end of the Edo period (1603-1868). At first, products were mainly made with random Yosegi or unit patterns by solid woodwork.
Then, Koyosegi, which consisted of continuous patterns, became mainstream.
In the early Showa period (1926-1989), an innovative technique called “Zuku” was developed, in which the surface of the Yosegi pattern is sliced with a large plane. Many products are still being developed using this technique.
Hakone-Yosegi-Zaiku was designated as a “traditional handicraft” by the Minister of International Trade and Industry in May 1984.
|address||386-36 Yumoto, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun|